Pages

welcome

Poetry, poetry, and poetry! And my rants about life in general in Papua New Guinea.



Monday, February 21, 2011

Inside the POM General Hospital


O ye grey house! Inside this huge grey,
Doped by odours that baffled my nose,
Beheld I the consequences of sin.
At a glance gentle, determined I many
Rows of dilapidated hardware arranged
On steel platforms; painted in pain and
A host of pain and anxiety.
Discerned I at once as they turn and twist,
Beautiful wrecks like overripe tomatoes in
Gardens forsaken by water and light.
Next, idly watching fading glimmers,
Hardware remnants harassed my appetite.
Then the companions of birds at dawn!
Pale and inanimate as rocks, yet adorable;
Who’d dare watch emotions wet their cheeks?
Like endless tunnels of despair, their gazes,
Broke down the flood gates of my heart.
O what a waste of glorious work of art!
Dark and lonely cells of earth! ye are
Salivating over their anticipated arrivals.
Must I pray that in pensive mood, when
My own companion of birds watches I
Through a beautiful eye without a lens;
I shan’t with glimpses of this house wrestle,
Nor its olfactory scars once more breathe.


By: Jeffrey Febi     29 Mar 2010

1 comment: