Pages

welcome

Poetry, poetry, and poetry! And my rants about life in general in Papua New Guinea.



Wednesday, February 16, 2011


Such is life

On a path of uncertainty I tread
Always dreaming
Always yearning to encounter my dreams
But I languished in the realm of my dreams

I tried the path of selflessness
Hoping to cloth myself in total altruism
While appreciating the sweetness of selfishness
I realized I can only live a life of both selflessness and selfishness

The path of humility I chose
While enjoying commendations from others
I secretly approved my pretence
I will be truly human when I concede to egotism’s enticements

With unabated determination I walked the path of honesty
Stormy days I frequently did encounter
So brief moments off track helped sustain my endurance
This path is a crooked one

I tried to dwell on the path of content
Though I struggled to find refuge in sufficiency
Subtly I sang inadequacy over and over
Who in this world can truly sing “I am contended”

The path to love I walked
Comprising many entwining paths of varying ideals
Yet none adequate enough to lead to perfect love
It remains a collection of theories

In my dreams
I heard whispers from the path to death
Many grumbles of unfulfilled dreams
I shall strive to postpone my time of departure
For my dreams have been elusive

Then I realized
Life thrives on a rollercoaster
And mystery adorns perfection
History attests to this mockery
So such is life


By: Jeffrey Febi


First published on Writers Forum in the Weekender of the National paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment