Pages

welcome

Poetry, poetry, and poetry! And my rants about life in general in Papua New Guinea.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Grandfather's Bilum

How grandfather's bilum, which
Across my father's bare chest,
In a loving embrace slung.
Like the Leleki baskets' blest
How while so pregnant swung.

How dwelleth he my father in its rich
Splendour till handing-over of its rest,
Then over my clothed chest again sways.
O this old bilum! like all other blest
No longer is laden with in my days.

For its treasures I search in earnest,
That I may grandfather's mind know.
O this bilum is no longer pregnant!
Along the way, maybe some time ago,
How many treasures fade; this instant

Till my sleep, I'll summon eagerness
To my modern soul strengthened to seek.
Grandfather's treasures may be hidden;
Yet thru a new eye must I ever peek
For glimpses my days have forbidden.


This poem was first published in the Writers' Forum of the National Weekender, then on PNG Attitude 's (http://asopa.typepad.com/asopa_people/the-crocodile-prize/) Crocodile Prize and on Dreamzmedia (http://dreamzmedia.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/poem-my-grandfathers-bilum/)

Do we have to sacrifice all our 'Tumbuna Pasin' to embrace modernity?

1 comment:

  1. you have best captured not only the loss of "tumbuna pasin" but "cultural identity" by the generation X and Y in pursuit of so-called "civilisation" and modernity...hats off for a true masterpiece...HV

    ReplyDelete